Take precautions at home when going away or leaving for holidays.
In a nutshell, ensure diligent behaviour prior to leaving.
- Ensure your alarm system has been tested and maintained
- Notify your family and neighbours
- If you have a monitored service, make sure you tell the Central Station how long you will be absent for.
These factors will assure you get the fastest possible response in the case of an alarm.
When you are on holidays, try to disguise the fact that you are away.
Don’t make your home an easy target for burglars. Take simple steps to keep your home secure.
Follow these simple steps to help keep your home safe :
- Put your TV or radio on a timer, so it automatically goes on and off at key times during the day and night.
- Stop newspaper and mail delivery, so papers and postal items do not pile up, making an obvious sign that no one has been home for days.
- Ask a neighbour or family member to watch your house. Better yet, find a house sitter, a trusted student or senior, for example — to stay at your home to keep a watch on things.
- Don’t let the lawn grow out of control while you’re away.
- Leave an extra car parked in the driveway.
- Don’t leave a recorded message on your phone at home that you are out of town. Your message at work should simply say you are out of the office.
- Don’t close all the blinds and curtains, as if you are not at home.
- If you have a housekeeper who comes weekly, consider asking him or her to come the week or weeks you are away. The housekeeper’s presence is another sign that someone is home.